Advance Directives

As a lawyer myself, I have resisted shows on legal or financial planning matters. This show is an exception, because the legal document we discuss is exceptional. Whether you are 30, 60, or 90, you should have an Advance Care Directive. Now that almost sounds like legal advice, doesn’t it? Consider it so. Everyone, as in everyone, should have a written document that speaks your personal health wishes when you are unable to communicate with the world. It is that simple.

Our guest is a certified elder care attorney with the demeanor, intelligence, and common sense that will make it seem like I am talking to Abe Lincoln. In fact, Jim Schuster is an experienced elder law attorney practicing in a log cabin office. Jim explains the value and workings of an Advance Care Directive (also called many other names around the country) in a way that will prompt you to finally get your personal house in order.

Advance Care Directives are documents of life. Join us for a great conversation about your life.

Advance Directives, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
GD Star Rating
Posted on April 11th, 2011 in category: Body, Dignity, Family, Health with the tags: , , , , ,


  1. […] importance of having an advance care directive (a.k.a “living will”). The video is at blog comments powered by Disqus […]

  2. Really Awesome article and video. I definitely join this Advance Care Directives. Thanks for sharing such wonderful information with us…keep sharing..

  3. I know that the Advance Care Directive is a written statement that outlines your wishes for future health and personal care, but does it include healthcare decisions like consent to organ donation or to non-therapeutic sterilization?

  4. These documents can cover those issues you mentioned. Sterilization procedures are certainly a hot button issue. We do not encounter this issue frequently. In my work on behalf of individuals with developmental disabilities the issue occasionally arises.

    • John Says:
    • January 13th, 2012

    Are the Advanced Care Directives state specific? Does it require an attorney to draft and record?

  5. It is best to consult with an attorney or authorized agency in your state. Some state bar associations and organizations provide a generic approved form for use in that jurisdiction.

Leave a Reply or Comment